Friday, June 28, 2013

SOROCO Blogging Contest: Girl Greatness Starts Here!


My friend Pippa from the UK has kindly asked me to enter her blog competition for her organization Speak Out Reach Out Camp Out. I met Pippa at the Young Women's World Forum in England and she has been a huge inspiration for me to continue working with Girl Guide for Change! Please visit her website at http://www.soroco.org.uk/

 

Enough with the lollygagging let's get down to business!

To defeat the Huns! :p

I have been in Guiding for seventeen years, that is most of my life and I can honestly say that it is responsible for shaping me into the person I am today. I think that the issue I would like to talk about is Guiding and why it is necessary to girls in our society. It might not be as crucial as ending world hunger or finding a cure for cancer, but it is something that I am passionate about and it is the main focus of Girl Guides for Change.



I often think about what my life would be like without Girl Guides and it scares me a little bit to think about. I come from a pretty typical middle class Canadian family, a mom, a dad, and two sisters. I went to Catholic school and had piano and swimming lessons, got to go on little road trips around my province with my family, and played school in the basement- my childhood was overall pretty standard. I am very lucky for the life I have and Guiding was an asset to it. Without it I probably would not have ended up living on the street or arrested, but I know that there are some people who might have. I have met people throughout my Guiding career who have said that being a member of Girl Guides saved their life. Being a part of a community where they felt valued, safe, and protected was everything to them. That is why Guiding is important.

 

While I was thinking about what I would do for this post I went back and looked at the report I submitted for the Young Women’s World Forum and this line caught my eye I want to get girls and women excited about being a Girl Guide and inspire younger girls to believe that they can make a difference in the world and matter in the grand scheme of society.”

 

As much as I love Guiding I think there are definitely a few things that need to be changed in the organization. Most of the decisions are made at a national level where girls are not part of councils. If I could change anything about Guiding in Canada that is what it would be. Millennium Development Goal #3 is all about female empowerment and what better place to reach this MDG than within a girl based organization! The girls and young leaders know the program, understand and value its importance and should be listened to.
After all Girl Guides of Canada’s motto is “Girl Greatness Starts Here!”

 

Thanks for listening!  

No comments:

Post a Comment