Monday, June 3, 2013

May 2013: Wrapping it all Up!

I don't know if you have ever seen that meme of Justin Timberlake when he was in NSYNC and sings "it's gonna be me" but it sounds like this.
 
It makes me laugh every single time I hear it and I thought of it often in this busy month of May.
 
Anyways shall we get on with it?

May started off with a mini trip with my mom and sister to High River, Calgary, and Drumheller to see some friends and get away for a few days. We met up with a friend from Alberta Girls' Parliament who gave us a walking tour of High River including the Guide and Scout Centre. I was obviously more excited than Heather was...


The next big thing in May was of course the 100th Birthday Rally for Alberta Girl Guides. To see a full post about it you can click here!



Every year our area has an awards and appreciation dinner for leaders. I think it is really important that Guiders be recognized for all that they do and who does not want to celebrate with fun, laughter, and two meats! :) Because of my position as deputy district commissioner I wrote a lot of the support letters for Guiders in our district so I was really excited to see every one's reactions. As I was looking and smiling around the table and listening to the names being called out for the Alberta Council Centennial Medal (a one time award to celebrate 100 years of Guiding in Alberta) I was SHOCKED to hear my own name. Thank you very much to the people who nominated me, you have no idea how much it means. :)  


This is Edna Dach's picture. My grandma currently has my letters and medal at her house so I couldn't take a picture of it.
 

Silliness with the promotion material for an event in the fall. Nice one Jessie!


My mom's Trefoil Guild, the coolest ladies in Guiding (in my opinion)!

 
I actually really liked the favour this year; a tree to plant to continue to "Grow Guiding". 
 
 
The next day was our district advancement. We had 11 out of 16 Sparks going up to Brownies so it was a big deal for our unit! Each unit in the district came up on the stage and gave  a little performance (we did Buddies and Pals and shared the best thing about Sparks) and then the advancing girls got to be taken over to the Brownies to sit with for the rest of the ceremony.


Our awesome poster! At a meeting we asked the girls the best part about Sparks this year and we made a list. I took everything they said and put it on a poster kind of artistically.



On the long weekend I was at camp with the Guides! I also did a full length post on that here.
 
 

Of course we are working super hard with the girls... no we are not relaxing while the girls are doing dishes... :)


We had our Sparks wrap up with the parents in May as well. Each girl got a flower (pink of course) and we played in the playground together and then had some yummy treats! It was a great finale to our weekly meetings.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Then the absolute grand finale of Sparks, Camp! We had so much fun and I am so proud of all the girls for being brave and awesome campers and really practicing their Spark promise of sharing and being friends. Here are a few more pictures of the camp, you can see a ton more in this blog post.

Chef Rainbow making delicious pancakes!

 

 
Getting ready for the big hike!
 

Some more awesome giraffes!
 
 
 
Campfire! A personal favourite of the Sparks "Gloop Gloop"

 
Story time, my favourite time of the day.

 
Congratulations on going on to Brownies!

 
I love these crazy Sparks!
 
 
Even though my Guiding year is "over" at the end of May I still have a few things coming up in June so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment