Saturday, October 31, 2015

Shake Your Groove Thing!

A few weekends ago I attended the Edmonton Area Guiders Conference out at Tangletrees and I thought I would share a few pictures from the event. It was a lot of fun and I enjoyed spending time out in nature with some Guiding friends. 
Friday night was filled with a round robin of crafts including this mini lava lamp. A full blog post about it can be found here.


To keep with the 1970s theme of the event we made record bowls! The first step is to pick a record.


Next, put the record on a bowl of your choice of size and shape.


Put the record and the bowl into the oven so it can begin to melt into the shape of the bowl. 


When it is melted enough into the shape you want, wearing oven mitts, pinch the corners of the bowl together.  


Let it cool and then you have a bowl! 


The next craft was a mini disco ball using another kind of music item- a CD! These were very hard to cut, you need to have a strong pair of scissors to cut the CDs into little pieces. 


All you have to do is hot glue the pieces onto a styrofoam ball and voila! A cute little disco ball!


This water bottle holder was the final craft of the evening. I remember making them as a Guide and being so frustrated with how hard they were- it was a lot easier this time! If you are interested in a full tutorial- let me know! 



I participated in the outdoor cooking session and helped create a number of delicious desserts for lunch. We used methods of cooking like a fire, Coleman stove, buddy burners, box oven, and clay pot BBQs. Pretty much all of the desserts turned out great and I would happy to share the recipes if asked. :)











I couldn't help but take a few pictures of the beauty of autumn, especially out at camp! 



Another one of the sessions I did was archery, it was so much fun and I really enjoyed doing it- I might have to take it up as a hobby! 


In the tents and tarps session our group made a lean-to (spelling?) using just a tarp, some rope, and a few trees. I definitely want to sleep in one of these at a camp this year! 


Our night games included glow stick ring toss-that just looked too cool to not take a picture! 


My favourite part of camp is always campfire. At this camp we were lucky enough to have Guider Dusk (Dawn Nowicki) lead us in song, it was so fun! I love doing campfire with people who actually know the songs we are singing. 




Overall it was a great weekend full of fun, relaxation, and learning some new things to do in the outdoors. Thanks to the organizers for all of their hard work to put together a great weekend! 


No comments:

Post a Comment