Saturday, March 19, 2011

Support for Japan

I know this post is a bit delayed, but I had to think really hard about how I was going to phrase this post. At the Forum I made connections with people all over the world and watching the earthquake, tsunami, and now the possible nuclear meltdown in Japan on my television has been terrifying. When I first heard about it the first thing I thought of was my friends in Japan and I was hoping and praying that they were safe with their families and friends. I couldn't remember where in Japan they lived so I was constantly checking Facebook seeing if they had posted anything about their experiences. Thankfully they are all okay, but the whole experience was hard, I can't even imagine what it would be like to live there. I have since realized that I have a personal connection with pretty much anything that will happen in the world and I am still not sure if that is a good or bad thing. On the one hand I think my "North American apathy" will be diminished and I will think about the personal stories occurring in things like natural disasters and human conflict, but on the other hand I am worried that every little thing will cause a great amount of distress in my life, which I do not need. Maybe I am being completely irrational and selfish by thinking these things, but it does cause a lot of worry for me.I hope that this disaster will be different than all the others, people will try and act above themselves and work towards a better world, not just forget in a week or two, once the news coverage slows down and something else happens.  I am still praying for all of the people in Japan who are affected by the disasters there and I hope that there isn't a nuclear meltdown. Overall I am so thankful that I live where I do because we can never have a tsunami and an earthquake is pretty unlikely, but I hope that the Earth will calm down soon, I don't want it to get any worse.

Thanks for listening to my babble,
Shannon

1 comment: