Monday, January 24, 2011

Thoughts on today...

I am currently sitting in my University library with a few of my friends and listening to some of the conversations happening around me (yes I am one of those people who listens to other people's conversations) and I am shocked and slightly disturbed by what I hear. You would think in a university there would be some people who care about the world around them and other people besides themselves and the cast of Jersey Shore. I don't know if I am feeling this way because I am sensitive to the world around me and am deeply concerned about world issues, or because I am in a slightly grumpy mood today but I want to turn around and smack the people who are complaining about how much their lives suck because they have a lot of studying to do and they have to work tonight. At least you have a job! At least you have the right to go to school and the resources to support a post secondary education! There are so many people in this world who would give anything to have a job and an education. I hope that I am not the only person (and I doubt I am) that is upset by these sorts of remarks. Some people just don't know/understand/care how good they have it. Compared to a lot of the world even the poorest Canadian has it pretty good. There are things like public health care, education, and social services that can help the poorest of the poor in Canada. I hope that my generation and all future generations will take action towards fixing world issues instead of just complaining about how hard they think their life is. I am thankful that I live where I do and I make sure to try and show my appreciation for all that I have and all I have been blessed with but I am not perfect. I do sometimes complain about things and I just have to take a step out of myself and go back to my thankfulness and appreciation for the life I have and accept the responsibility I have as a global citizen to take care of and help the people in my community and beyond.

Rant ended.

Thanks for putting up with this,
Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment