Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Make it Monday: Mason Jar Lanterns

At camp a few weekends ago we made lanterns to bring to our campfire out of mason jars. It was a really easy craft and they turned out well! 

You will need: a mason jar, a sponge brush, paint that is suitable for glass (I got the paint we used at Michael's), vinyl shelf liner, raffia, and a flameless candle. 


Step One: Draw a design on the vinyl shelf liner that you will cut out and stick onto the jar so that it will be protected from the paint. I chose to make a trefoil and after many failed attempts of trying to draw it free hand I went to my duffle bag, got out my word shirt, and traced it...


Step Two: Stick your sticker onto the jar. Make sure there are no bubbles in the sticker and all of the edges are completely stuck down. 


Step Three: Paint the jar. I used a dabbing technique so it wouldn't be streaky, but it doesn't really matter how you paint it on. 


Step Four: Let your jar dry for at least two hours with the vinyl stickers still on the jar. 

Step Five: Carefully peel off the vinyl sticker and add a raffia bow to make it look cute. :) Turn on the flameless candle and screw on the lid. 


That's it! I was really happy with how my lantern turned out and then I destroyed it for this photo. Do not put your lantern in the snow because the paint will come off. If I made this again I would probably add a sealant onto the lantern to protect it, but overall I think it was a pretty good craft.

No comments:

Post a Comment