Saturday, July 14, 2012

Girls World Forum Day Three!

Today was another incredibly busy day at the Girls World Forum. We started off bright and early with a session on project planning and what the chaperones' role is in the girls' projects. I found that really helpful because I wasn't too sure what my role was in there projects and project planning. Overall it made me really excited to see what my delegates plan to do after the Forum.

Next I had a very cool experience at a place called JourneyWorld. It is built like a miniature city with businesses, a town hall, a bank, and a town square. It really sparked an interest with me because it reminded me of a facility we used to have called Kidtropolis. I think that the skills we learned and the fun we had is something that we should harness back home and build a facility like that for girls to use. I think that I might look into how much it would cost to have a centre built like that. I was a utility manager AKA a gas meter reader which was pretty fun. I was so impressed by the set up of the building and the program that went along with it. Here is a link for a virtual tour and more information about JourneyWorld. http://www.girlscoutsgcnwi.org/journey-world/a>d



When we got back to the hotel we had a few sessions called "internal actions" where we did a session on creating things out of recycled plastic bottles, lids, containers, etc. AKA arts and crafts. It was a nice way to relax after a long day but I felt like we did not have enough time to finish anything. Then there was a session about women in politics and how to get into politics as a young woman (my favourite subject...) It was interesting but I get really fired up about quotas of women in politics and voting for someone based on their gender. Anyways it was a pretty good day but the evening was even better! :)

Tonight was International Night and it was the most fun I have had in a long time. The Canadian delegates made quite an impression in our toques, mittens, red shirts and our Canadian table with flags, stickers, Inukshuks, and beavers and of course a moose crossing sign :) We had a great dinner and then had the opportunity to tour around all of the other booths and try the foods, hear the music, watch the dances, and see the artifacts from all of the different cultures around the world. My favourite part of the event definitely had to be when we were doing the chicken dance that everybody knew and we were all having a good time and then it came to the change in the music where it gets a bit slower and Helen and I started pretending to fly around like birds. Then we looked around and saw that everyone else was doing the hoe down. We both fell over from laughter and could not breathe. As I explain it now it does not seem that funny but it was hilarious!
There was also a photo booth set up where we could take pictures and we got some great ones. Here they are!

Our honourary Canadian Paige!



Trying to play hockey on the African Savannah...

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun! i can't wait for Helen to come back with more stories

    ReplyDelete
  2. linda.campbell99@shaw.caJuly 16, 2012 at 10:03 PM

    I just read all of your posts for the past 2 years...great effort, Shannon. I am very impressed with your dedication and commitment to Girl Guides of Canada and the World Organization as well. You are an amazing asset to our group and I know you will continue to do amazing things in support of women around the world. I love the idea of you being a future commissioner! You have my support any time.

    ReplyDelete