Thursday, May 28, 2015

Fairies, Fires, and Fun!

It is a tradition in my unit to have a camp on the May long weekend and have the grade sixes come out on Friday and the plan their own camp from Friday night to late Saturday afternoon to help them complete their Experienced Camper badge. So far it has worked really well and the first and second year girls are already excited to have their own camp. 

The girls cooked their own meals, we had french toast for breakfast cooked on the camp stove, yum! 


We set up a "Jello Tree" with the grade sixes for the other girls when they came out on Saturday afternoon. This idea is always a hit, I have done a post on the Jello Tree before here


I thought these mushrooms hiding in the grass were really cool so I had to take a picture (or ten)! 


Does this not look like the perfect s'more ever!?  


We were so glad there was no fire ban when we were out at camp. The girls couldn't wait to cook over it. 


This is one of my favourite pictures I have ever taken because it is so pretty and of one of my favourite places. It is even my Facebook cover photo! 


We have painted outhouses at our camp and this is the latest addition... a Tardis from Doctor Who! Exterminate, exterminate... :) 


I love being outside in the spring!


These rubber feet were so cool for identifying and creating tracks in the sand. They are such a cool thing to use out at the nature centre!


These birds were everywhere and they are so loud!  


A pretty robin! 


One of the girls using the microscope to look at some of the lake water for little critters. We are so lucky to have access to the nature centre! 


Another flower shot... 


In one of the adirondacks there was a bird's nest, Many of the guides has never seen a nest before and were pretty excited!


Inside the nest was a robin's egg! Don't worry, we were very respectful of it; no one touched it and I took a picture of the inside so the girls could see. 



Here is a great example of one of the nature crowns made at camp that I learned about at the Camping Advisers Workshop... such a good idea- I will use it forever! Thank you Tiger!!


One of the crafts we did was a mini chalkboard using a dollar store burner cover, some chalkboard paint, and some washi tape! They followed my rules of a cool, functional craft and the girls loved them! 


We went on a night hike and came across these amazing fairy doors at the bases of several trees in the forest. The girls LOVED them, but I think I loved them even more... magic is everywhere! :) 




I am so happy with this unit this year, they are a great group of girls! The camp was so much fun and even though we were exhausted by the end of it I think it was a very successful camp!


No comments:

Post a Comment