Thursday, April 30, 2015

Celebrating Sangam!

For the final trip to a World Centre we visited Sangam. I wanted to celebrate the Festival of Colour, Holi, but I couldn't figure out a way to fully celebrate the festival like in the video below so I did a bit of research and found an alternative to a kind of art called Rangoli that uses coloured salt on the ground to make beautiful pictures. 



An example of Rangoli. Source

To make the coloured salt I used salt, a little bit of vinegar, and food colouring. It was very easy to make and I liked figuring out which colours to create. 





I found some designs on the Internet for the girls to use as templates and printed them off onto cardstock so they could do their art right on the paper. 


All you need is a little bit of white glue and some patience to create some of these designs. 


 Here are a few of the works in progress and some finished pieces of Rangoli that the Guides created. I was very impressed! 






 I was very pleased with how mine turned out. :) 





So this craft was a bit of a mess but I think the final remains on the table were kind of beautiful. 


The craft was very time consuming and it took most of the meeting but we also talked about India and Indian culture and learned a bit about Sangam too. 

I am really happy with how our tours through the World Centres this year. I think the girls learned a lot and had a lot of fun too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment