Friday, February 28, 2014

A Night in the Past: Fort Edmonton Sleepover!

 
My Guide Unit had a sleepover at Fort Edmonton a few weeks ago and it was a ton of fun! I took a lot of pictures and wanted to share a few with you!
(I think that is how all my posts have started lately- but I guess that is what happens when you do a lot of events and not a whole lot else!)
 
 
The Fort was almost eerie in the cold and quiet night. It is a truly different experience being there in the winter when there is no one else there. I really enjoyed myself!
 
 
The girls got to start of the night by making some bannock on a stick. It worked pretty well and they really enjoyed eating it right off the stick- classic Girl Guide move!
 
 
The Guides got to try their hand at beading with sinew and beads. I wish we got to do the traditional beading, but this was fun too!  
 
 
Our interpreter was fantastic. He had a very captive audience as he told fur trade tales by the glowing fire. We could have listened for hours.
 
 
The girls got to make a travois as a team and carry firewood from one end of the room to the other. I was really impressed with what they could do and I was shocked that none of them fell apart!
 
 
The lighting was just beautiful on Rowand House in the morning I couldn't resist to take a few shots.
 
 
We finished off our morning activities with a snowshoe romp through the park. These snowshoes were a lot harder to maneuver than the ones I used at the Groundhog Camp, but gave a huge appreciation for the people who had to use them to get around.
 
 
It was a great weekend event and even if it was a little bit pricey. I would definitely recommend it as it is a little bit different than your typical sleepover. The girls had a lot of fun and earned two interest badges! Snowshoeing and Provincial Heritage! Great job girls!

No comments:

Post a Comment