Friday, October 12, 2012

First Ever International Day of the Girl Child!

Yesterday was a very exciting day! I am so proud to have been a part of the first International Day of the Girl Child! I think it is so important to have a day like this to celebrate every year because girls do have such a key part in our society and in this day and age it is key for all people to realize their significance. Here are a couple of things I did to celebrate the day.

I am so excited about the WAGGGS initiative, The World We Want For Girls. I first heard about this program a few months ago and I thought it was fantastic. I was scrolling through some of the entries and I think they are absolutely spectacular! I am also very impressed by the video they created which I have put below. I would highly recommend checking out the tumblr blog and seeing the things Girl Guides and Girl Scouts want to have in the "perfect world." 

 
 
Later in the evening I went down to the University of Alberta for a screening of the documentary "It's a Girl" put on by the Indo Canadian Women's Association at the University of Alberta. The film is all about a concept called gendercide which means the systematic killing of a specific gender- in this situation the destruction of girls in India and China. I had such a whirlwind of emotion while I was watching the film. First I was overwhelmed by the things I was hearing and seeing and then I was angry, than sad, angry, again, and then inspired to learn more and do something to make others aware of what is going on. There was quite a turn out for the film which was quite exciting. We also had an opportunity to Skype with the director of the film, Evan Grae Davis, and Jill McElya of the Invisible Girl Project. Dr. Amy Kaler of the Department of Sociology at the U of A also spoke. The three of them put together a discussion panel and then took questions from the audience. It was a really interesting evening and despite the incredibly challenging subject matter of the film I really enjoyed it. I also quite enjoyed the samosas and juice after the film and discussion. :)

Trailer for the documentary "It's a Girl"http://www.itsagirlmovie.com/ 
 
I think it is so cool how some of the world's most famous monuments were lit up pink. Here are a few of my favourites and the link to see some more.
Pyramids in Egypt
Little Mermaid Statue in Denmark
 
Niagara Falls in Canada :)
London Eye in United Kingdom
 

No comments:

Post a Comment